Some Small Schools
If you have more school photos from the district, or information about any of these schools, please contact Vern.
This is thought to be the Digby Common School, which opened in 1864 with about 100 pupils.
South Digby School, ca 1890. This school opened in 1888 with about 30 pupils, and Miss Highland as the first teacher. The school closed in 1898.
The original Digby State School 2047: early 1900s? This school was built in 1878 then demolished in 1938 and replaced with a wooden structure. Mr A R Whatmore, the Head Teacher at the time, built a stone fence from the foundations of the old school.
The teacher's residence was built nearby in about 1890.
(information from the Merino CWA's "History of Merino and District", January 1953)
The original Digby State School: ca 1906 Digby State School, opening of the shelter shed. Digby State School group: 1912. Click here for the names! Digby State School group: 1970. Click here for the names!
Small school photos | Bluff, Drik Drik, etc | Dartmoor | Digby | Merino | Mumbannar, etc
| Sample photos | 1998
Exhibition | 1999 Exhibition
| 2000 Exhibition |
2001 Exhibition | 2002
Exhibition | 2004 Exhibition
For more about the history and people of part of the Western District, visit the Digby and Hotspur web site.